Thursday, April 7, 2011

Me, My Music & I - Sometimes things ARE as they seem Part 2

"If you want to know who I really am, look at my music" ~B.W.

 ...Cont. from Part 1
I played in that band for two years, got write-ups in zines, played all kind of clubs in DFW, and met all kinds of people. No one had seen a violinist in a metal band before so it was all the rave, lots of hype. I even stayed loyal to my band when offered positions in much more successful, well-known bands. Perhaps it had something to do psychologically with the fact my band had kind of served as a lifeline for my music after experiencing such tremendous disappointment in my classical academic career as a violinist. Interesting. We eventually needed another guitarist- so the search began for one. I heard about a couple of guys who played guitar through an old friend, she said they lived about 20 miles from where I lived, they were right outside of Dallas. I went to check them out- they were both amazing, but one in particular was a maniac when it came to playing guitar- it sounded like classical music at the speed of light- not to mention he had black hair down to his waist- WIN! :)

We were married 8 weeks later. Over the next year we bought our first home, had our first child and I left my band- I had begun the balancing act of remaining a musician and raising a family, one had to give. My husband started a death metal band, which I managed for 3 years. In the beginning, they were getting passed up for shows with some of the bigger underground acts, which was when I determined that I would invite all those bands to participate in one show over a period of two days. I put together a huge music festival in Dallas 2 years in a row and after the first Grindfest in Deep Ellum, his band took off, any show they wanted, they got. I stayed very busy booking show dates across America, I also wrote for underground ‘zines & did interviews- those were crazy times. I met lots of musicians, labels, club & major venue owners, and people in the music industry- an interesting experience that taught me a lot about the music industry. I still played violin occasionally, classical music of course- but I played for my daughter, and occasionally for Holidays & Special events. Three kids more (bringing the total to four) & five years later, I began teaching Violin and joined the Living Water Riverband, performing for Churches, ministering in Prisons, Rehabilitation Centers, and Retirement Communities. I also began performing as a Soloist more frequently for special events, weddings, holidays & memorial services. This is what I still do presently- true to the promise I made to my parents all those years ago, I did not give up playing the violin. I now read notes with ease, for whatever reason it just clicked one day. I believe it all has to do with God’s timing. There is no telling who I would have become had things panned out the way I wanted them to. Although a Christian and a violinist, I still gravitate toward extreme or unusual music, and can see the talent and musicianship in bands whether Christian or secular, that most people wince at or consider “noise”. And as always, in certain circles I still feel like the violinist in the leather jacket- but that is who I am- a musician in the truest form. It is quite entertaining and fulfilling to be able to play my instrument in a manner that spans the musical spectrum. A Passionate Classical Violinist, a Fiddle Player that ministers the Gospel through song, a Contemporary Violinist on the praise team at my church, and a Metal Violinist that can find a violin part with even the most extreme metal bands- there is no shame in that! Looking back over my musical introductions throughout my younger years, it is no wonder, and with such a variety of musical genres- I’m definitely balanced!

After writing all this down and reading it over, I experienced peace. I realized that it is all these experiences, all the diversity in my life that makes me balanced- that makes me who I am and allows me to have understanding of all types of people, not just musical styles. It is what has given me the privilege of finding what is good and what is beautiful in things that seem odd and obscure to others, or that is usually ignored or overlooked. Though not always the best situations or best choices on my part, I thank God for who He has shaped me to be, and for the diversity and excitement He has brought into my life through music. God has no doubt been with me every step of the way. God is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment